This page gives an overview of my teaching activities, which mostly concern Leiden courses, lectures, masterclasses and student supervision.
- Lecturer of the master course Social Network Analysis for Computer Scientists (yearly since fall 2014).
- Lecturer of the bachelor course
Business IntelligenceData Science and Process Modelling (yearly since spring 2015, together with Suzan Verberne since 2021).
- Lecturer of the master course Competitive Programming (spring 2020).
- Lecturer of the doctoral course Social Network Analysis at King’s College London (together with Eelke Heemskerk, fall 2015-2019)
- Guest lectures and masterclasses as well as talks at various occasions, lunch colloquia, industry events and university promotional activities on many topics related to my research: Mining Big Corporate Network Data, Network Science, Social Network Analysis, Social Network Mining, Big Data and Data Science and Network Science (note: many slide decks are really really old and may contain very outdated information).
Other teaching activities
- From November 2018 onwards, I am chair of the education committee (“opleidingscommissie”) of the BSc Informatica programme.
- Since 2018, I am involved in the EU Erasmus+ project on curriculum development in artificial intelligence and data science.
- As part of my fellowship of the Leiden Teacher’s Academy (LTA), in September 2018 I started a project on collaborative learning from (code) peer reviews.
- I am extremely grateful for the students that elected me Faculty of Science Teacher of the Year 2016. Thanks!
You can always come to me with your ideas for a bachelor or master project or thesis related to my research interest, such as network science, social network analysis, complex networks, graph mining, graph algorithms, etc.
A list of previous students can be found below.
- Bachelor thesis: Vincent Sieraal (2017), Erik Soelaksana (2017), Heleen van Sonsbeek (2018), Mitch Angenent (2019), Robert Blinde (2019), Michael Bosch (2019), Yven Lommen (2020), Bram Honig (2020).
- Master research project: Giso Dal (2013), Roberto Lucchese (2015), Govert Brinkmann (2016), Nick van den Bosch (2017), Jesper van Engelen (2017), Hanjo Boekhout (2018).
- Master thesis: Jiahong Chen (2015), Mahya Mirtar (2015), Richard Enyinnaya (2016), Shuo Yang (2016), Roberto Lucchese (2016), Boyd Witte (2017), Niek Zuure (2017), Toms Reksna (2017), Haoran Ding (2017), Xavyr Rademaker (2018), Kristi Qato (2018), Alain Fonhof (2018), Nick van den Bosch (2018), Thomas Helling (2018), Lars Hopman (2019), Prashand Ramesar (2019), Geerten Verweij (2019), Hanjo Boekhout (2020), Niek Buwalda (2020), Simon van Wageningen (2020).